In our busy modern world, it’s easy to overlook the importance of not just what we eat, but also how we eat. Try these seven simple practices to eat well for healthier digestion:
1. Before you eat, make sure you are calm: If you are feeling stressed, depressed, angry or rushed it is better not to eat, or to eat very lightly.
2. Don't eat whilst standing up or walking: Also, try to eat in a peaceful place – your food will taste better and digestion will be improved.
3. Choose wholesome foods that look fresh and colourful - try to buy organic where possible: Embrace a nutrient-dense, phytonutrient-rich rainbow diet, and discover the benefits of organic not only for yourself but also for people, plants and planet.
4. Start each meal with something a little spicy to stimulate digestion: Try eating this simple digestive chutney: mix 2cm of freshly grated ginger, a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and a pinch of salt.
5. Chew your food properly to ensure digestive enzymes get to work in the mouth: chewing helps to break down larger particles of food into smaller ones, which reduces stress on the oesophagus and helps the stomach metabolise your food. Chewing your food properly also ensures that your digestive enzymes get to work in the mouth, making it easier on the rest of your digestive system.
6. Be aware of how digestion feels before and throughout each meal: are you really hungry? How do you feel once you have eaten: do you feel heavy or energised? Be aware of how you digest certain foods to help you find out what is healthy and right for you. Move slowly with this awareness and learn at a pace that suits you.
7. Take time to relax after eating, even if it’s just for 5 minutes